Thursday, June 6, 2013

Sorrow Has Many Faces

Most activity at the Red Cross MARC had a feeling of optimism today.  The number of new folks waiting to register was less than at any time in the past two weeks.  The lines for all of the 19 organizations in the MARC were shorter.  As I previously noted, Scooby Doo and Tony Tiger were here and the children waiting with their parents loved those two characters.

However, it only takes one personal interaction to bring the starkness of the tragedy rushing back.  Another volunteer asked me step over to a table and talk with the man who was quietly sitting there.  As we talked, I discovered that his sister was killed in the May 20th E-5 tornado.  He apologized for needing to come in for help.  He told me that he was sure other people needed it more than he did.

As I looked at this face, I could see the sorrow in his eyes.  He had experienced a horrific loss in his life. Yet, he did not want to be "pushy".   I would guess his age to be around 45 and he rented a room in his sister's house.  He talked about how much he liked living there and being a part of his sister's family.  He played with his nieces and nephews.  He went to and worked at his job every day.

When the tornado struck, he was at work.  He told me that he could handle death in his life.  He went on to say that he just wanted to know his sister's body could be found and that she had not suffered.  He paused before he said that both of his wishes had come true.  The first responders found her and the responders showed him a picture that convinced him, she had not suffered.

Did we help him at the MARC?  I believe we did.  Many caring people helped him with immediate needs and long term plans.  Will I know for sure that he got the help he needed?  No.  But, I do trust in the Red Cross staff and in the local Oklahoma care givers.  I trust that his load is now and will continue to be - lightened.  I trust his eyes will come back from the sorrow I saw in them today.  God bless us all; I have no doubts that Humanity is awesome.

- - - - -
I will leave you with a little of my joy today.  This is Cutie #4.  I talked with him and his mother through a translator.  Trust me, I smiled at him the whole time.

No comments:

Post a Comment