Wednesday, May 29, 2013

The American Red Cross Is Awesome...

On the Tuesday after Memorial Day, I reported to the American Red Cross Headquarters at Shawnee, Oklahoma.  The headquarters was located on land owned by the Citizens of the Potawatomi Nation.  They graciously opened a newly constructed office building for use by the disaster team.

I knew my in-processing by Red Cross would cover all of the morning.  I hoped to be on site somewhere by noon.  During the hours of processing, a clear picture developed – the Red Cross is awesome.  The task of bringing together hundreds of volunteers, organizing them, and preparing them is huge.  The Red Cross accomplishes these tasks with great success.

During in-processing, I registered my lodging at NCED.  I registered the Avis rental car. I reported to my supervisor.  I heard how to personally respond to weather emergencies forecast for the day.  I participated in orientation.  I secured my Red Cross issued cell phone.   I found out about my first assignment at the MARC (Multiple Agencies Resources Center) in Oklahoma City.  Each task was accompanied by lots of paper work and lots of double checking on the details.  I accomplished all of these important tasks in a few hours.  During the few hours, I completed those tasks with lots of smiling Red Cross faces helping me along.
 
Now, why is the American Red Cross awesome?  Because they helped not only me, but hundreds of people!  They are awesome because hundreds of volunteers were processed, recorded, encouraged, trained, encouraged, out fitted with equipment, encouraged, assigned, transported, encouraged, fed, watered, encouraged, and sent forth from the headquarters on the land of the Citizens of the Potawatomi Nation.  The American Red Cross is awesome!

I began working in the MARC on Tuesday at 11:30.  The MARC is hard to picture.  We were in one section of a large high school, Westmoore High School.  Red Cross organizes a MARC in a common court space and other helping organizations setup in the MARC too.  Hence the word Multiple is in the name MARC. 

In some ways, the MARC looks like a giant flea market.  Tables and chairs are placed throughout the common area.  Banners from each organization are hung from poles, support braces, and the ceiling.  The MARC is loud (a hundred or so people talking at once), active, and comforting.  While most flea markets are selling things to make a profit, the Red Cross Marc is giving away help, compassion, and hope.  All in all, the MARC is a good place to be if you want to help those who really need help.

In Disaster Mental Health, I look for folks who display signs of significant emotional distress.  Then I just offer to listen to their “story”.  I listen to their explanation of loss, trauma, pain, fear, relief, and remorse.  I listen to their account of survival, joy, relief, guilt, hope, and need.  I talk with children who have come to the MARC with parents.  I chat with Red Cross volunteers who may have worked too many hours without a break, who may have missed lunch or supper, who may feel too close to the trauma, who may wonder are they really helping anyone, and who may need someone to say, “You are doing awesome work with these folks.”

Sometimes the pain goes deeper.  I talked with a nine-year-old who lay on the school floor underneath his teacher and heard his friend die from the tornado destruction.  I patted a retiree on the shoulder while I heard an explanation of survivor’s remorse and why she should be giving help, not getting help.  I listened to a military veteran who wondered if anyone really wanted to help or was everyone just trying to give him the run around.  I did what any counselor would do.  I listened; I gave reflection and empathy; I re-framed  I helped them recognize the next few steps to take; I normalized the feelings they were experiencing; I listened; I encouraged; I hoped I helped them.


I do not believe any day on Red Cross disaster relief can be called a typical day.  And, Tuesday was not an exception to my belief.  The MARC was to be open until 7 pm.  We had to close at 4 pm.  Why?  Severe weather was forecast for Oklahoma City and we had to leave Westmoore High School.  We gave tickets and/or took names for every person who was waiting in-line when we closed early.  The people seeking help were disappointed, but they did understand the stark reality of a weather warning.  Tomorrow, we do it all again.  I hope I will help them.

2 comments:

  1. So proud to know you. Thank you for being the person who actually made the trip. You are the perfect person to comfort those who are there and to report about it to those of us who care. We send you and them our prayers and support. NWP, IUSWP and IUS have a great correspondent and representive in you.

    Kevin

    ReplyDelete
  2. Cindy and I are trying to think as you would during your absence the last "work days" of the school year...WWDD????
    We are very proud of you and we pass on to everyone who calls here at school just where you are, what you are doing, and why you cannot return their call. What you are doing in Oklahoma is way more important than the last minute details in wrapping up the school year! We will play "catch-up" when you get back. Keep us posted and GOD SPEED!

    ReplyDelete