Tuesday, May 28, 2013

Will These Boots Slip Off Without Untying the Laces?


Empathy only took about three minutes to develop after I saw the damage and destruction to the homes and the families in Oklahoma from the May tornadoes.  The news clips looked so much like last year's news clips from Henryville.  Who could not be empathetic to the shock, fear, and misery of the people in Moore, Shawnee, and Oklahoma City?  Their feelings were so close to the feeling that rocked the people of southern Indiana, only the Oklahoma devastation was worse.  Children were killed by these tornadoes; children died at school.  I was heartbroken.

With the blessing of my wife and my boss in the school district, I computer clicked myself as available for Red Cross deployment to Oklahoma for Disaster Mental Health. The Red Cross Volunteer Connection software and I soon received my call back.  Can you report to Shawnee, Oklahoma within 24 hours?

Saying "yes" is so much more uplifting than saying "no".  Saying "yes" is always a positive affirmation to someone or something.  Saying "yes" just feels a whole letter better than saying "no".  Saying "yes" to the folks in Oklahoma was a positive experience, and the "yes" immediately resulted in anxiety for me.  I know saying "yes" did not make me anxious.  I felt anxious when I processed the probable events of the next fourteen days. I just needed to work on my thinking.  I needed positive self-talk, "I can do this, I have a strong support system at home, and I will have a strong support system in Oklahoma."

The American Red Cross organization is spectacular, consistent, competent, caring, compassionate, and comprehensive.  I had first processing at the Clark County Indiana headquarters; Catie and Paul were great; they were encouraging and had planned for every detail of my two week work period. First step completed.

Second step, arrange travel through the Red Cross system.  Travel was conquered with one phone call and the emailing of my ticket. I was ticketed to leave Louisville at 4:40 pm on Labor Day.  

The afternoon of a holiday must be a busy time for airports.  At least, Standiford Field was busy on Labor Day afternoon.  Years ago, I used air travel several times a year.  I had a summer job that took me across the country.  Back then, I was pretty good at successfully managing the culture of an airport and airplanes.  On Labor Day of 2013, I was not competent or confident in managing airports or airplanes.  I acted like I knew what I was doing, but my novice status was evident.

My big bag was checked and I was "carrying on" a small bag.  Yes, the small carry-on bag was the beginning of total incompetence.  I had a small computer in the bag; no problem right?  Almost everyone carries on a computer, easy.  What I didn't know was that computers have to be taken out of the bag.  Why?  Can't they x-ray through the bag?  So, I try to get the computer out from the bottom of the bag while 6-8 tired travelers stare at me.  I said to the TSA agent, "I really do have a computer in here; it’s just under all of this other stuff; give me a minute."  From the look in the agent's eye, I could tell that he really didn't want to give me that minute.  Eureka!  I felt the computer under the "other stuff" and pulled it out! Ta da!

When I looked down to place the computer on the x-ray belt that is when I noticed I was the only person wearing shoes (not counting the TSA agent).  Yep, computer is out; shoes are on; this is not good.  Instantly, I began to ponder, “Will these boots slip off without untying them?”  I am pondering; the now, 10-12 tired travelers are staring.  

I was wearing solid, supporting, water proof boots.  Boots with many laces, laces up the ankles, boots which I should not have on because footwear has to be x-rayed.  I hopefully pushed on the heel of one boot with the toe of the other boot.  Eureka again!  The boot slid off.  I pulled the second boot off with my hand.  Alright, now I am making progress.  I plop the boots on the x-ray belt just behind the computer.

The computer set there.  The boots set there.  I heard the agent say, "Sir, the computer and the boots have to be placed in plastic bins before proceeding through x-ray."  His voice was pleasant and calm, but I could still tell he just wanted to yell, "Are you kidding me!"  I smiled and asked the agent, "Where are the plastic bins?"

His answer was, "Back there, Sir."  Back there was behind, the now, 15-17 tired travelers standing and looking... I contemplated running for it; I thought about faking a hamstring cramp; I considered yelling, "I am really on my way to help people!"  Before I could make a choice, the tired travelers passed two plastic bins forward to me.  People are good and these travelers were sympathetic as well as good.  I hung my head and gave the body posture signal of "I am so sorry."

The x-ray belt began to roll and I walked to the scanner.  Here is some good new; I saw the symbol that showed a man holding arms and hands above his head.  So, in the scanner, I got my hands above my head like a pyramid.  Success!  I passed the scan.

The next TSA agent was after the scanner.  He wanted to see my driver’s license.  I found my wallet and driver's license with only a small delay.  Then, the agent kept staring at me and staring at my driver’s license.  He stared at my face; he stared at my driver's license. 

I thought he could not see my birth date, so I pointed at the date on the license.  He said, "No Sir, I can see your license, I just can't see your face."  Yep, I was wearing my Panama hat, the white hat that I wear on bus duty at school.  I quickly whipped off the hat, smiled at the agent, and thought "Please no strip search!"  Then, I hung my head and gave the body posture signal of "I am really, really so sorry."

The good news, I was not searched and boots will come off without untying the laces.  Will Rogers Airport in Oklahoma City, here I come ...ready or not.

[Tomorrow, "The American Red Cross Is Awesome."]


1 comment: