Wednesday, June 5, 2013

Forty-two Years Ago Today...

Forty-two years ago today, the temperature was 97 degrees in Tipton, Indiana and I was wearing a tux.  Inside the black tux, I was sweating like crazy.  I stood at the altar wondering why the electric fans were not cooling me.  Hours later I would discover the fans were pointed in the wrong direction and they were doing a great job of cooling off the wall.

I stood, drenched in sweat, with my cousin and best-man, Pat, and watched the most beautiful girl in the world walk down the church isle.  MaryAnn Day was walking with her father, Murl, and she looked spectacular.  (OK, ladies is "spectacular" a compliment or should I have used a different word?)  She was the love of my life; she was the best thing that ever happened to me.  And, she is still both of those to me after 42 years.

After all of the years, I am still surprised that she said "yes" when I asked her to marry me.  She was so pretty and so nice that I just assumed her answer to my proposal would be "no".  But, she said, "yes".  So, on June 5th 1971, drenched in sweat with fans pointing backwards, MaryAnn Day and David E. Losey were married at St. John the Baptist Church in Tipton, Indiana.  How lucky and blessed I am!

I am still at the American Red Cross Multi-Agency Resource Center in Moore, Oklahoma helping folks recover from tornado disaster.  I am able to help others because MaryAnn has helped me year by year become a better man.  She is the rock where I stand, the road for my way, the reason shining true.

I wish I was home today.  Since I am not home, here is a little of my joy today in Oklahoma.  My favorite person at the MARC today is "Cutie 3".  She will be in the second grade; she is seven now and will be eight soon.  She thought it was great that I have a grandson who will be in the second grade.  Since I can't be home today, having people like Cutie 3 in my life was pretty darn good.


Elementary students from Moore, OK have taped hand made cards to the poles in the MARC.  Here are good wishes from youngsters in Moore




This final card reads, "Dear Person, I hope you have a nice day.  I hope your house gets fixed soon.  I hope this letter makes you smile.  I hope this card brings you happiness.  I hope you have the best day ever.  I am glad you are safe.  I hope you have fun.  I hope your kids have fun to.  I am keeping you in my thoughts and prayers.  I hope you feel better.  I hope you are getting every thing you need. Lloyd.

Me too, Lloyd, me too.
David

1 comment:

  1. So beautiful. As always, thank you for sharing you thoughts and feelings with the rest of us. I enjoy reading!

    ReplyDelete