Tuesday, June 4, 2013

May 31st Seven Tornadoes in OK City

Being from Indiana, I have lived through tornadoes warnings and a few tornadoes.  I have never experienced anything like seven tornadoes in one area.  But, that's what happened in Oklahoma at Norman on May 31st.  The only way I could get info back to Indiana was through group text messages.  Texts to individuals would not go through and emails would not go through.  I sent these group text messages to give the picture of what was happening.

Friday 31 May 2013 07:50 PM CDT
Seven tornadoes now in OK City metro, cars overturned on I-35 and I-40.  Warning sirens in the hotel continue, continue to scream, considering vomiting or peeing my pants.

07:53
Tornado now ten miles from Norman.  TV is still showing destruction everywhere.  Moore OK being hit again.  400 people in shelter with me.

07:56
TV helicopters still chasing the tornadoes that's how we can see destruction (shelter had a 12' projected TV). Most places in OK City now without power, ours is blinking.

08:00
100 of the 400 people in this shelter are middle school cheerleaders.  Everyone is staying calm in here.  Tornadoes have turned to southeast, not so good for us.

08:05
When the sun comes up tomorrow this community will be more destroyed than when I got here. Really sad.  Tornado now 5 mi from Norman. Dr. Del in Norman OK

08:09
TV now reporting flash floods, cars and semi trucks overturned .  Many people ignored warnings to stay off roads, now they are trapped.

08:17
Tornado now at Norman, our shelter is still secure.  Where's a helmet when you need one (earlier the TV weatherman said everybody should put on long pants, sweat shirt, gloves, and a helmet).  Go IU (no helmet, but I have my IU hat). Individual texts will not go out, only group texts go out.

08:29
I am getting really tired and weary.  The hotel siren keeps screaming. TV is out now. I am confident and I love all of you, thanks.  Dr. Del in Norman OK

(At this point, I put my iPod earphones in my ears and lay down on the shelter floor, nothing else to do.)

09:10
Tornado warning for Norman has expired.  I'm back in my room, exhausted, thanks so much for all of your prayers.  More updates in AM. God bless you all.

09:13
Well crap!  Hail now pounding hotel windows, it sounds like big pellets, still going to rest, sirens will wake me up if it gets worse. Dr. Del in Oklahoma

Saturday 01 June 2013 10:15 am CDT
All family and friends, I am safe and good.  My hotel is not damaged, plenty of food, especially fresh fruit.  Staying here to help, at the MARC by noon.

I would just as soon not experience anything like May 31st again.














No comments:

Post a Comment